Title of Job: Policy Officer
Responsible to: IEN Chief Executive Officer
Location: The Macro Building, 1 Green St, Dublin 7
Organisation: Irish Environmental Network (IEN) and Environmental Pillar
Contract: Part-time 1-year renewable contract (20 hours per week)
The Irish Environmental Network (IEN) is seeking to recruit a Policy Officer, who will be responsible for providing evidence-based policy proposals and engaging in lobbying and campaigning to support our strategic policy objectives.
The IEN has over 30 members, and the secretariat works to support them and our advocacy coalition – the Environmental Pillar. You will work in a small but energetic team to shape policy and advocate with regard to the natural environment in Ireland.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To develop and produce policy submissions and research papers in support of our policy objectives for presentation to Government and other policy makers, ensuring publications are accurate, evidence based and up to date with research and policy developments, both nationally and internationally
- Monitor policy developments at domestic, national and international levels as they pertains to the area of the natural environment.
- Engage and develop relationships with policymakers, NGOs and other key stakeholders to advocate for sustainable policy development in Ireland.
- Ensure members of the IEN and Environmental Pillar are kept updated regarding relevant policy developments and activities.
- Organise and host seminars, workshops and other policy related events where appropriate
- Provide ongoing support to the CEO, Chair and members in their public roles by sourcing data, providing research papers and briefings as requested.
- Conduct lobbying and campaigning on issues related to our strategic policy objectives.
- Liaise and maintain regular contact with government officials, politicians and policy makers on key policy issues.
- Represent the IEN and Environmental Pillar at events, conferences and in various partnerships and coalitions where appropriate.
- Work closely with and support the Chief Executive, senior management team and Board to champion the cause of the natural environment in Ireland.
- Manage staff resources, and others who from time to time may be assigned to the research and formulation process.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and practices.
- Monitor the development of relevant legislation and ensure that this in internally communicated to Management, staff, Board, and members.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships among the members of the IEN and Environmental Pillar with relevant Government departments, policy makers, and partner organisations and coalitions.
- Prepare documents and reports, providing support as required by the Chief Executive, Communications Officer, and network members.
- Assist in any other duties as required.
- Educational qualifications or equivalent work experience in environmental policy, law or a related discipline
- At least 4 years’ experience working on Irish policy
- Proven experience of planning and producing own research and policy documents to tight deadlines
- Experience of advocacy work at a national and local level
- Proven ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to a range of audiences
- Knowledge and experience of working in a membership-based organisation or within the NGO/community and voluntary sector
- Working knowledge of advocacy at EU level, particularly in relation to Brexit and/or environmental issues.
- Proven experience of effective project management, including: strategic planning; budgeting, reporting and evaluation
- Experience of nurturing relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
Send cover letter (maximum length 2 pages) and CV to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Friday, 11 December 2020