Friends of the Irish Environment was established in 1997 to create and maintain a network of conservationists and environmentalists in Ireland to:
- monitor the full implementation of, and to assist in the development of, European law;
- work for changes in the Irish planning laws;
- encourage the implementation of the right to full public participation;
- provide assistance to individuals, local groups, and the wider public in understanding environmental issues;
- seek proper implementation of environmental and planning law to support sustainable communities including the pursuit of concerns and cases in both the built and the natural environment.