In addition to our animal rehabilitation operation, the ISS:
• Run extensive educational and outreach programmes through the schools and community nationwide.
• Partner in research and training with state agencies and academic bodies.
• Have a very active and successful Sea Fisheries Advisory Group, represented at EU level, promoting sustainable fisheries.
• Are a Member of Environmental Pillar in Social Partnership, and are socially inclusive in all of our activities.
• Have observer status at the International Irish Whaling Commission (IWC) and NASCO.
• Are members of Empower, the European network of oiled wildlife responders.
Rescue: We have now treated over 800 seals and, on average, deal with over 2,000 wildlife distress calls per annum; and participated in a number of oil-spill responses.
Education Programmes: The Irish Seal Sanctuary believe that education is key to increasing our awareness and understanding of marine wildlife and their habitats, particularly seals and our coastline. The Irish Seal Sanctuary Education Programme ‘Seals & Sea Life’ provides a series of educational talks and activities for both Primary, Secondary Schools and Community Groups on request.