Coastal Resource Protection and Management
Seminar organized by the Marine Group of the Environmental Pillar
hosted by the European Parliament offices in Ireland
Nov 18th 2011; 9.30 – 4 pm; EP Offices Molesworth Street Dublin
Download Programme: Seminar Coastal Resource Protection and Management – 18th November
9.30 am Registration
9.45 am Welcome, Francis Jacob , Director EP offices Dublin
10 am Session I: Sustainable Inshore Fisheries and Wild Harvesting
- Sustainable Inshore Fisheries and Jobs. Reflections on Italy and Ireland – Dr Ilaria Vielmini, Ziguele Association Italy
- Protecting and harvesting select marine resources: Do we have wise use and are we maximising job potential today? Short interventions introducing select species, their status, problems in and out of Natura sites – Oyster , Mussels, Razor Shells, Lobster
11.20 am Group work reviewing ways forward for each species and action to be taken.
12.20 am Groups report back and clarifications.
12.40 am Conclusions and recommendations
1.00 Lunch break
1.45 Session II – Coastal and Marine Protection on the Island of Ireland
- Marine Protected Areas in N. Ireland – DrJoe Breen, Head of Aquatic Science Team,
Northern Ireland Environment Agency
- Climate change adaptation – planning for the soft coast – Dr Kevin Lynch, School of Geography and Archaeology, National University of Ireland, Galway
- Sea grass – example of a habitat stakeholders need to know to protect. Karin Dubsky, Coastwatch in joint work with EPA and local communities.
3 .00 pm EU coastal policy and European Parliament priorities – Nessa Childers MEP
3.20 pm Panel Discussion: Implementing protection plans and legislation
3.50 pm Closing remarks, Barbara Nolan, Head of the European Representation in Ireland.
Contacts: Content: Karin Dubsky Coastwatch, mobile ++ 353 (0) 86 8111 684 email@example.com ,
Registration: Justin Byrne Irish Environmental Pillar Tel: 01 878 0116 Email: Justin@ien.ie
There are no seminar fees but registration is essential. Please complete Registration form or contact above for further information.
Marine Group membership: An Taisce, BirdWatch, Coastwatch, Feasta, Irish Seal Sanctuary, Irish Wildlife Trust and Irish Whale and Dolphin Group.
LOCATION: The European Parliament Information Office is located on Molesworth Street, at the Dawson street end. It is 2 min. walk from the Dail.